My summer berry and peach galette with vanilla pastry cream is calling your name.
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, cubed and chilled
- 5 –6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- course sugar
Vanilla Cream Filling
- 2 cups (454 grams) milk
- 6 tablespoons (78 grams) sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (18 grams) cornstarch
- 1 vanilla bean scraped, plus pod
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) butter softened
- 2 cups heaping sliced peaches (skin removed)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
To Make Crust
- Whisk flour and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Dump flour onto work surface and add butter chunks.
- Toss to coat.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten butter into flour, making long strips.
- Use a bench scraper to scrape dough off rolling pin and surface as needed.
- Gather the dough strips into a loose pile and add 4 -5 tablespoons of water to it. It will look like a crumbly disaster, but don’t worry.
- Gently mix the water into the dough.
- Roll dough out into a long rectangle.
- Fold each end in towards the center.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat this process again.
- Turn the dough a final time, and repeat the process. The dough should be adhering together nicely, but you will still have some crumbling. That is okay.
- Gathering up the crumbles, wrap the loosely formed rectangle in plastic wrap.
- Then shape the wrapped dough into a disc about 1 inch thick.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to three days.
To Make Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Pour milk into saucepan.
- Scrape contents of vanilla pod into milk and then add in the pod.
- Heat milk to almost boiling.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, whole egg, egg yolks, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- As soon as milk starts to simmer, remove vanilla bean pod and discard.
- pour a small amount into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, whisking quickly so that the eggs do not cook.
- When the eggs have been tempered, add the egg mix into the hot milk in sauce pan and continue to whisk vigorously.
- Heat the custard over medium heat, and continue to whisk.
- While whisking, allow the custard to come to a boil.
- Lower the heat and continue to whisk for another 45 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add butter.
- Whisk until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Pour custard into a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap (make sure the wrap is directly on the custards entire surface to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Let custard cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled completely, place in the refrigerator to completely chill.
To Prepare Fruit Filling
- Peel and slice the peaches
- Place the fruit in a bowl.
- Mix sugar and corn starch together.
- Sprinkle over the fruit and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Put it All Together
- Sprinkle flour on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Take the dough dish out of the refrigerator and roll into a rough circle about 12 inches in diameter. It does not need to be perfect.
- Spread the vanilla pastry cream in the center of the circle staying approximately 3 inches from the edge.
- Place peaches around the perimeter of the pastry cream.
- Then add the strawberries and blueberries. Leave the juice in the bowl as this may make the galette too soggy.
- Take an edge of the circle and pull it up gently over the peaches.
- Repeat this process all the way around the circle. You will need to crimp the dough as you go.
- Gently pick the parchment paper up and slide it onto a cookie sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat an egg and 1 Tablespoon of milk together.
- Brush this mixture on the crust perimeter.
- Sprinkle the top of the galette with Turbenado sugar.
- Place the galette in the refigerator to chill for at least 1 hour so that it does not spread when baking. You can also chill overnight, but make sure you cover it.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 28-30 minutes.
- Store any leftover galetter in the refigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 28-30 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer berry galette, galette, peach galatte, vanilla pastry cream