J Dub’s summer berry and peach galette with vanilla pastry cream is calling your name.
It is one of the prettiest desserts around.
And, it is absolutely divine served with a scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream.
Yes, this dessert does take some planning ahead.
No, this dessert is not hard to make.
You will be hooked once you nail it on the first try!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Summer Berry and Peach Galette
- Total Time: 33 minute
- Yield: 1 galette 1x
My summer berry and peach galette with vanilla pastry cream is calling your name.
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, cubed and chilled
- 5 –6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- course sugar
Vanilla Cream Filling
- 2 cups (454 grams) milk
- 6 tablespoons (78 grams) sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (18 grams) cornstarch
- 1 vanilla bean scraped, plus pod
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) butter softened
- 2 cups heaping sliced peaches (skin removed)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
To Make Crust
- Whisk flour and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Dump flour onto work surface and add butter chunks.
- Toss to coat.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten butter into flour, making long strips.
- Use a bench scraper to scrape dough off rolling pin and surface as needed.
- Gather the dough strips into a loose pile and add 4 -5 tablespoons of water to it. It will look like a crumbly disaster, but don’t worry.
- Gently mix the water into the dough.
- Roll dough out into a long rectangle.
- Fold each end in towards the center.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat this process again.
- Turn the dough a final time, and repeat the process. The dough should be adhering together nicely, but you will still have some crumbling. That is okay.
- Gathering up the crumbles, wrap the loosely formed rectangle in plastic wrap.
- Then shape the wrapped dough into a disc about 1 inch thick.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to three days.
To Make Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Pour milk into saucepan.
- Scrape contents of vanilla pod into milk and then add in the pod.
- Heat milk to almost boiling.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, whole egg, egg yolks, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- As soon as milk starts to simmer, remove vanilla bean pod and discard.
- pour a small amount into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, whisking quickly so that the eggs do not cook.
- When the eggs have been tempered, add the egg mix into the hot milk in sauce pan and continue to whisk vigorously.
- Heat the custard over medium heat, and continue to whisk.
- While whisking, allow the custard to come to a boil.
- Lower the heat and continue to whisk for another 45 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add butter.
- Whisk until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Pour custard into a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap (make sure the wrap is directly on the custards entire surface to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Let custard cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled completely, place in the refrigerator to completely chill.
To Prepare Fruit Filling
- Peel and slice the peaches
- Place the fruit in a bowl.
- Mix sugar and corn starch together.
- Sprinkle over the fruit and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Put it All Together
- Sprinkle flour on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Take the dough dish out of the refrigerator and roll into a rough circle about 12 inches in diameter. It does not need to be perfect.
- Spread the vanilla pastry cream in the center of the circle staying approximately 3 inches from the edge.
- Place peaches around the perimeter of the pastry cream.
- Then add the strawberries and blueberries. Leave the juice in the bowl as this may make the galette too soggy.
- Take an edge of the circle and pull it up gently over the peaches.
- Repeat this process all the way around the circle. You will need to crimp the dough as you go.
- Gently pick the parchment paper up and slide it onto a cookie sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat an egg and 1 Tablespoon of milk together.
- Brush this mixture on the crust perimeter.
- Sprinkle the top of the galette with Turbenado sugar.
- Place the galette in the refigerator to chill for at least 1 hour so that it does not spread when baking. You can also chill overnight, but make sure you cover it.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 28-30 minutes.
- Store any leftover galetter in the refigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 28-30 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer berry galette, galette, peach galatte, vanilla pastry cream
Pin For Later!
Drop me a comment below and tell me how you plant to serve my Summer Berry and Peach Galette. I would love to read all about it.
Looking For More Recipes?
Have you tried my Piña Colada Pound Cake? It is the perfect poolside party dessert.
How about my Blackberry Biscuit Cobbler? One word – YUM!
You should definitely try my Kalamata Olive and Rosemary Focaccia. You won’t believe how wasy this bread is to bake up.
My Sausage Klobasniky is a great savory sausage kolache to serve for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Definitely try out my “Whatever Cookies”! Change out the M & M’s to celebrate any occasion any time of year.
If you are looking for a great summer sandwich, my Turkey, Bacon, and Avocado Sandwich is the bomb.
Have you tried my Balsamic Red Wine Pot Roast? It is the most fantastic old school way to cook a roast. Perfect for Sunday dinner and/or dinner guests.
My Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies are the perfect base for the oh so perfect ice cream sandwich.
My Blueberry Banana Pie is the perfect pie for your Easter brunch. Your entire family will be begging you to share this recipe.
Try my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene. My recipe makes a huge loaf cake that you can easily freeze for later.
My dill pickle dip is the perfect appetizer to serve at Easter brunch or at your next pool party.
This Carrot Banana Bread is unbelievably easy to make and addictive.
This creamy balsamic salad dressing will become your new favorite.
My roasted vegetable pie is a great side dish to incorporate all your summer garden vegetables.
How About Some DIY’S?
Check out this beautiful spring/summer wreath you can create in an hour or less with just a few supplies.
Need to tackle your dirty windows? I have the perfect homemade cleaner that will ensure you never buy Windex again.
Do your patio cushions need some TLC? I have that recipe for homemade cushion cleaner as well!
Have you purchased your ferns for your porches? I have the best way to keep them healthy and lush green all summer long.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™
BettyJuly 27, 2022 2:28 pm
i love this recipe. I want my daughter to try it but she’s nervous on the crust prep. I hope you will add more photos of your process. So she can see it’s not hard!