These Praline Cream Cheese Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls are so yummy hot out of the oven.
Ingredients for Dough
- 8 ounces sour cream (227 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter (57 grams)
- 1/4 cup sugar (50 grams), plus 1 Tablespoon sugar (13 grams)
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (NOT instant yeast)
- 1/4 cup warm water (57 ml) at 100 -105 F
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 3/4 cup high gluten bread flour (450 grams), may need a little more if dough is sticky
Ingredients for Filling
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 (53 grams) cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) chopped toasted pecans
Ingredients for Icing
- 1 cup (113 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5–6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Combine sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter in a saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Stir continuously.
- Remove the mixture from heat and scrape vanilla bean contents into mixture. You can throw vanilla bean pod in as well and allow mixture to cool approximately 15 minutes.
- Add yeast to warm water. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of reserved sugar to yeast mixture, mix again, and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Place yeast mixture, 1 cup flour, and beaten eggs in stand mixer. Mix until incorporated.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod from the sour cream mixture, and then add to the flour mixture. Mix again.
- Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix on low until everything is well incorporated, approximately 4-5 minutes
- The dough will form into a ball.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and lightly spray the sides of the bowl with coconut oil.
- Give dough a swirl around bowl to grease entire ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap that has also been greased.
- Allow the dough to rise until double in size.
- Punch the dough down, and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- While the dough is coming to room temperature, make the filling and icing.
Directions for Filling
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add both sugars and mix until smooth.
- Beat in egg.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add 1/2 cup of toasted chopped pecans and stir again.
- If you are making the day before, place in the fridge in a sealed container until you are ready fill the cinnamon rolls.
Directions to Put the Cinnamon Rolls Together
- Once the dough has come to room temperature, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 9X12 inches.
- Spread the filling liberally onto the rectangle, leaving a 1/2 inch border. You may have leftover filling, see notes.
- Roll the dough onto itself jelly roll style starting with one long side. Once you have formed the jelly roll, the filling starts may want to ooze out.
- Place the jelly roll in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up before slicing it into cinnamon rolls.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the jelly roll into individual cinnamon rolls, approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in a greased pan. I like to use a well seasoned 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Allow the rolls to rise in a warm spot until double in size – usually about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees while rolls are rising.
- Once the rolls have risen, bake approximately 22-25 minutes until tops are a golden brown being careful not to overbake.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, before icing if desired.
Directions for Icing
- Add in vanilla and mix again.
- If you have leftover filling, spoon it evenly over the rolls after they have risen before putting them in the oven.
- David likes these cinnamon rolls un-iced. They are really good either way.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes (plus overnight chill and rise))
- Cook Time: 22-25 minutes
- Category: breads
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon rolls