This peach pound cake is something special. It is full of peaches and homemade vanilla cream custard that will have everyone going back for seconds.
Peach “Crust” (this will end up on top after you flip the cake out of the pan)
- 2 peaches cut in wedges
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Vanilla Cream Custard
- ( ) milk
- ( ) sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (18 grams) cornstarch
- vanilla bean scraped, plus pod
- large egg yolks
- large egg
- ( ) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (348 grams) sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups (360 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (227 grams) buttermilk
- 1 cup vanilla cream custard
- 4 heaping cups peeled, diced peaches ( I used large 4 peaches)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
Instructions for Vanilla Filling
- Pour milk into saucepan.
- Scrape contents of vanilla pod into milk and then add in the pod.
- Heat milk to almost boiling.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, whole egg, egg yolks, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- As soon as milk starts to simmer, remove vanilla bean pod and discard.
- pour a small amount into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, whisking quickly so that the eggs do not cook.
- When the eggs have been tempered, add the egg mix into the hot milk in sauce pan and continue to whisk vigorously.
- Heat the custard over medium heat, and continue to whisk.
- While whisking, allow the custard to come to a boil.
- Lower the heat and continue to whisk for another 45 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add butter.
- Whisk until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Pour custard into a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap (make sure the wrap is directly on the custard’s entire surface to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Let custard cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled completely, place in the refrigerator to completely chill.
Instructions for “Crust”
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a tube pan well.
- Lay slices peaches around the bottom of the pan in a fan shape. It does not need to be perfect.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon with melted butter. It will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the peaches.
Instructions for Cake
- Whip butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and mix until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together.
- Add flour to sugar mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Mix just until combined.
- Add 1 cup vanilla cream custard and then mix again.
- Add in vanilla and mix again.
- Remove mixer from stand and stir in peaches by hand.
- Pour the batter over the peaches in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, checking at 50 minutes to see if a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to completely cool in pan on a cooling rack.
- Once COMPLETELY cool, flip over to remove from pan.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peaches and cream pound cake, pound cake, peaches