Monica and Mrs. Alice’s Cornbread Squash Dressing is one holiday recipe you won’t ever forget. You will definitely be adding this to your list of holiday dish must haves.
Yes, the ingredient list is long. But one thing is for sure, this recipe not complicated. I make the cornbread and chop/slice my vegetables the day before. That way, the only thing left to do is mix everything together and then bake it.
2 packages Mexican cornbread mix
6-8 medium squash, thinkly sliced
1 pound hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
A medium box Velveeta or 1/2 recipe of my Homemade Velveeta
16 ounce can chicken broth
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions.
- Allow cornbread to cool, crumble in pan, and set aside.
- Cook squash until tender.
- Mash squash and drain any liquid.
- Discard liquid and place in a large bowl.
- After you have cooked and drained sausage, add it to a large mixing bowl with squash.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet
- Next, cook onion and bell pepper in the butter until onion is translucent. Add this mixture to the squash and sausage.
- Melt the Velveeta, soups, in butter in microwave or on stove top.
- Combine this with the other ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Beat egg into the chicken broth and add to mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9X13 casserole dish.
- Top the mixture with 1 could grated cheddar cheese.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until center is warm.
When I make the cornbread for my squash dressing, using a box or not, I always pour a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of my cast iron skillet and heat thoroughly in the oven before I pour the batter into my cast iron skillet. It gives the cornbread a crunchy crust on the outside.
I use my homemade version of Velveeta because I am not a fan of what’s in the store bought version.
Monica an Mrs. Alice’s Cornbread Squash Dressing will be your new favorite holiday dressing. If you are looking for the perfect bird to go with this dressing, click here.
This post does contain affiliate links. This means if you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, you can do a google search (instead of clicking on my links) to find my recommendations. If you do make a purchase through my links, thank you so much for supporting my website.