I made this Mexican Heather and Willow Topiary on my Instagram stories last spring.
I got so many requests to do a step by step tutorial.
So, I gave that one away to a friend so I could make another one for you guys.
This planting method is very similar to the method I used to plant this olive tree, but on a much smaller scale.
Planting in this manner is slightly advanced in that you need to know your plant’s watering needs really well, as you will not be able to touch the soil to see if it is dry or not.
You can do this with any topiary type plant.
But. Mexican Heather will tell you when it is thirsty as its tiny green leaves will just start to wilt when its thirsty. Just don’t let it wait to long before you water it.
Lavender, rosemary, and olive tree topiary trees work well using this method as well.
Live Topiary Options
I typically water my topiaries every 4 days and do not put them in any direct sun.
And, if you are afraid to try this with a live plant, you can always use a faux topiary.
Faux Topiary Options
- Mexican Heather Topiary
- Pussy Willow Branches, approximately 36 inches tall
- Decorative pot of your choice
- a small pot that will fit inside the decorative pot to give height to the topiary
- a small bowl to catch any overflow when you water it
- grocery sacks, plastic, or paper
- glue gun and glue sticks
- long neck watering can
Directions to Put Topiary Together
- Place the small pot upside down inside the decorative pot so that the top of your topiary pot is almost level with the base of the decorative pot.
- Place the bowl on top of the small pot right side up.
- Then place the topiary inside the bowl. This will allow you to catch any overflow when you water it.
- Next, place plastic or leftover grocery sacks around the topiary base so that it is supported and will not tip over inside the decorative pot.
- Then, place the branches in the corners of the pot and then in the center of each side.
- After you have placed the branches the way you like them, tuck moss pillows on top of the plastic.
- Feel free to glue them down, but it is not necessary.
- Now bring the tips of the branchs together at the top so that you enclose the topiary.
- Tie the top of the branches together using twine.
- Display your topiary in a bright area inside or outside your home.
Photos of the Process
Pin For Later!
A Note About My Decorative Pot
I found this inexpensive terracotta pot at the grocery store.
Then, I aged it using a small amount of stucco patch on the edges.
I then rubbed a mixture of dirt and water all over it to make it even more unique.
You can do this with any terracotta pot on hand.
Drop me a comment below and let me know what you think of my Mexican Heather Willow Topiary.
I would love to know if you make one for yourself or to give away.
P.S. I always get asked about my cute twine holders. They are one offs. Here are a few I found that you might like.
Looking for more DIY’s?
Did you see this Faux Orchid Arrangement I made for my closet? Its super easy and definitely makes a statement anywhere you place it.
Here’s another DIY Faux Orchid Arrangement using a different container that is just as lovely and a completely different look.
This DIY Heart Shaped Grapevine Wreath is perfect for Valentine’s Day and all spring long. You can even decorate a little girl’s bedroom with it.
Have you seen the old leather top bow front desk I just made over? It is amazing and I can’t believe how easy the process went!
If you are looking for a unique way to add flair to a piece of furniture, check out my Anthro nightstand dupe!
Did you see the DIY Topiary I made for Valentine’s Day? You can make this for any occasion……Mother’s Day anyone?
Are you looking for a way to use some easy live plants into your home? Check out my post on all the ways you can style air plants. I also give you some helpful tips on how to care for them.
My before and after Bedroom Refresh takes my college kiddos bedroom up a few notches.
I created a Footed Stool using materials I already had laying around my craft space. You won’t believe what I used for the legs of the stool.
My dill pickle dip is the BOMB! It is the perfect dip for spring and summer……if you don’t eat it all before your guests arrive.
Monterey Jack Salsa is another great crowd favorite. Your friends will be begging you to share this awesome dip recipe.
My Blueberry Banana Pie is the perfect dessert for spring.
And, my Praline Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls will be a hit every weekend here on out.
You will love my Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies that are also the base for the perfect ice cream sandwich.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, You Tube, and Tik Tok to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™!
BeckyMarch 13, 2023 4:33 pm
I just ordered my topiary! I can’t wait to make sure this for mom for Mothers Day! ☺️
LizMarch 13, 2023 4:34 pm
You have the BEST and most unique DIYS. Thank you for this!
JohnMarch 13, 2023 4:35 pm
i love this so much. I’m making one for my wife. She is going to love it!
MandyMarch 13, 2023 4:35 pm
So charming. The Willow branches take it to the next level.