My Savory Pumpkin Shaped Mediterranean Brie en Croute is perfect for fall – especially Thanksgiving Day. This dip marries my Mediterranean salsa with gooey brie for the perfect savory appetizer.
- 1 sheet of phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 wheel of brie
- 1/4 cup Chunky Mediterranean Salsa
- kitchen twine (4-5 pieces, 15 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 1 inch green onion tops for the pumpkin leaves
- Allow dough to thaw on counter for approximately 40 minutes.
- Unfold and roll out to remove any creases.
- Slice brie wheel in half.
- Place bottom half of brie in center of phyllo.
- Spread salsa over the bottom half of brie.
- Place top half of brie on top of salsa.
- Cut hard edge of rectangle off to form a rough circle.
- Set the extra dough to the side.
- Fold the phyllo dough around the brie wheel, making sure to press in any edges that may run out during baking.
- Place kitchen twine under the dough at 2 inch intervals and tie on top of the dough at intervals to form the pumpkin shape.
- Trim off excess twine on top of dough.
- Add granulated garlic to melted butter and brush over the entire pumpkin.
- Shape the remaining dough that you trimmed off the edges of the rectangle into a stem for the pumpkin.
- Place both the pumpkin and the stem on a parchment covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, until golden brown. The stem will be ready to remove after about 12 minutes.
- Remove the brie from the oven and allow to set up and cool for at least 5 minutes before removing the kitchen twine.
- After removing the twine, gently use a knife to make a small slit in the top of the pumpkin shape to place your stem.
- Add two green onion tops for the leaves.
- Serve with crackers and toast points.
- For the pumpkin leaves, you can also use olive tree leaves or rosemary.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Baked brie, Mediteranean Brie, savory brie appetizer