J Dub’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream screams summer has finally arrived. David and I find any excuse we can to pull out our White Mountain Ice Cream Maker to make this ice cream. My recipe is based off White Mountain’s original recipe and is ready in just under 40 minutes. The best thing about this ice cream is that it remains easily scoop-able even after you put it in your freezer.
|6 Quart||4 Quart|
|4 cups Whole Milk||3 cups Whole Milk|
|2 3/4 cups sugar||1 3/4 cups sugar|
|3/4 t kosher salt||1/2 t kosher salt|
|3 cups Half and Half||2 cups Half and Half|
|5 cups Heavy Whipping Cream||3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream|
|3 T Good Quality Vanilla||2 T Good Quality Vanilla|
|1 Large Vanilla Pod, insides scraped||1/2 Large Vanilla Pod, Insides Scraped|
|Rock Salt||Rock Salt|
|2 bags of ice||2 bags of ice|
- Measure out all of your ingredients.
- Pour milk into heavy dutch oven.
- Turn heat on low and scald milk. (heat until there are bubbles around the edge of the dutch oven).
- Add sugar and salt and whisk until combined.
- Stir in half, whipping cream, vanilla, and vanilla pod contents.
- Throw the vanilla pod into the mixture as well (don’t worry, you will remove it before freezing)
- Pour the contents into a container with a lid and chill at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture into the ice cream canister. You will see the vanilla pod floating towards the bottom. You can remove it now.
- Place the dasher inside the canister and cover with lid.
- Meanwhile, fill the wooden bucket 1/2 full with water.
- Allow to sit 60 minutes to soak up water. Discard water after use.
- Place the canister inside the bucket.
- Layer the rock salt and ice to the top of the canister.
- Gently lay a towel over the top of the ice cream maker.
- Plug in and allow the ice cream make to do its thing.
- When ice cream maker starts to struggle, the ice cream is ready.
- Check to make sure the ice cream is firm.
- Place more salt and ice on top of canister and allow to sit chilling until ready to serve.
- Please use a high quality vanilla, not imitation, or the best results.
- I use Red Diamond Kosher salt in my recipes. This salt is less salty than regular table salt.
- I have a 60 second video on my IG showing exactly how we make our ice cream.
- You can remove any leftover ice cream and place it in a different container in your freezer.
- Or, you can store your ice cream in the canister in your freezer.
I can not say enough good things about White Mountain. This company is committed to quality and has been in business since 1853. Let me know what you think of J Dub’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
This post does contain affiliate links. This means if you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, you can do a google search (instead of clicking on my links) to find my recommendations. If you do make a purchase through my links, thank you so much for supporting my website.