J Dub’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream screams summer has finally arrived.
David and I find any excuse we can to pull out our old fashioned ice cream maker to make this ice cream.
My recipe is based off White Mountain’s original recipe and is ready in just under 40 minutes.
The best thing about this ice cream is that it remains easily scoop-able even after you put it in your freezer.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.Print
J Dub’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 gallon 1x
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups half and half
- 3 tablespoons high quality vanilla
- 1 large vanilla bean pod, insides scraped
- rock salt
- 2 bags of ice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons high quality vanilla
- 1/2 large vanilla bean pod, insides scraped
- rock salt
- 2 bags of ice
- Measure out all of your ingredients.
- Pour milk into heavy dutch oven.
- Turn heat on low and scald milk. (heat until there are bubbles around the edge of the dutch oven).
- Add sugar and salt and whisk until combined.
- Stir in half and half, whipping cream, vanilla, and vanilla pod contents.
- Throw the vanilla pod into the mixture as well (don’t worry, you will remove it before freezing)
- Pour the contents into a container with a lid and chill at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture into the ice cream canister. You will see the vanilla pod floating towards the bottom. You can remove it now.
- Place the dasher inside the canister and cover with lid.
- Meanwhile, fill the wooden bucket 1/2 full with water.
- Allow to sit 60 minutes to soak up water. Discard water after use.
- Place the canister inside the bucket.
- Layer the rock salt and ice to the top of the canister.
- Gently lay a towel over the top of the ice cream maker.
- Plug in and allow the ice cream make to do its thing.
- When ice cream maker starts to struggle, the ice cream is ready.
- Check to make sure the ice cream is firm.
- Place more salt and ice on top of canister and allow to sit chilling until ready to serve.
- Please use a high quality vanilla, not imitation, or the best results.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla bean ice cream, desserts
Let me know what you think of J Dub’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
P.S. My homemade Vanilla Pound Cake and Key Lime Pound Cake are the perfect way to serve this ice cream. Happy Summer!
Pin For Later
Looking For More Summer Recipes?
If you are in the market for another banana dessert, try J Dub’s Blueberry Banana Pie. So refreshing and also perfect for any summer holiday.
Speaking of bananas, you must try my Banana Pudding Cups.
Now that blackberries are in season, you definitely want to try my Blackberry Lemon Pound Cake. It is perfect for all your summer BBQ’s and pool parties.
Check out your new favorite Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich with my signature secret sauce.
My Cajun Chicken Cakes with Homemade Remoulade are a crowd favorite. You can even freeze these uncooked cakes to pull out for a busy weeknight dinner.
Have you tried my Carrot Cake Banana Bread? It is outstanding – and you can leave it naked or ice it with my light vanilla cream cheese icing.
Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies anyone? These cookies won’t last a day in your house.
My Blueberry Banana Pie is the perfect pie for your next brunch or summer get together. Your entire family will be begging you to share this recipe.
Try my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene. My recipe makes a huge loaf cake that you can easily freeze for later.
My dill pickle dip is the perfect appetizer to serve for all summer long for brunch or at your next pool party.
This creamy balsamic salad dressing will become your new favorite. It is perfect on any summer salad.
My Monterey Jack Salsa will be your next favorite dip this summer.
How About Some DIY’s?
I’ve got a simple method to help you re-pot your succulents and refresh the containers for your summer patio.
Don’t forget to check out my method to get your patio cushions so clean. Your husband will think you bought brand new cushions!
Make sure to try out my window cleaning recipe. My formula will get all your glass surfaces streak free and unbelievably clean.
Speaking of patios……have you seen the major refresh I did on our tired, old wood outdoor dining table and chairs? This DIY works well on indoor furniture too.
Did you know you can dry an artichoke for the most gorgeous muted colors and texture? Click here to see this unbelievably easy DIY!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™
BethJuly 5, 2022 9:26 pm
You are so right! The high quality vanilla and the pod MAKE this ice cream exceptional. Thank you for sharing all your secrets. You need your own show and your IG is a hidden gem.
MandyJuly 5, 2022 9:28 pm
i have used your recipe the last two summers. It is BY FAR the best recipe around for vanilla ice cream. I made your strawberry pound cake to go with it. There is NONE left. Yum.
LanaJuly 5, 2022 9:29 pm
I have been following you on Instagram for a long time! You recipes are always so good. This ice cream takes the cake. WOW!
BarbaraJuly 8, 2022 1:12 am
Heaven on Earth! So much better than store bought. The kids want me to make it every single weekend.