Sausage Klobasniky are savory sausages wrapped in homemade yeasty bread.
- 1 stick butter (113 grams)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar (76 grams)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (113 grams)
- 6 ounces evaporated milk (113 grams)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 4 cups bread flour (480 grams), may need more if dough is sticky.
- 1/4 cup warm water (57 grams)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (7 grams)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- melted butter
- 1/2 t granulated garlic
- 12 links cooked sausage (I use Slovacek’s Hickory Smoked Jalapeño Hot Sausage)
- Heat butter, sugar, and milk in small saucepan on low heat until butter is melted.
- Watch closely as you do not want to boil the milk.
- Transfer this mixture to a large mixing bowl and pour in the evaporated milk.
- Mix in enough flour to create a smooth paste (I usually use a little less than half of the flour).
- Next, add in the whole egg and mix. Set this mixture to the side.
- In a small bowl, mix the warm water and yeast.
- Allow the mixture to rest for approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Then, whisk in the egg yolk.
- Add this mixture to your flour paste you made earlier.
- Then, add in the rest of the flour, the granulated garlic, and granulated onion, and mix with your hands to form a smooth dough. If the dough is still sticky, you will need to gradually add more flour until the dough is smooth and shaggy.
- Cover this bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise until double in size.
- Punch the dough down, shape into a ball, and cover again.
- Place the dough in the fridge and allow to rise overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature – usually about an hour.
- Divide the dough into 16 portions. I divide the dough into 4 quarters, then divide each quarter into four more slices.
- Shape each sliced portion into an oval.
- Place the sausage in each oval and pull the dough up to seal the edges and sides.
- Cover them and allow them to rise an hour in a warm spot.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the Klobasniky for 12-15 minutes until they are a golden brown.
- Add the reserved 1/2 teaspoon granulate garlic to the melted butter.
- Baste the Klobasniky with this mixture immediately after removing them from the oven.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes (plus 24 hour rise times)
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: breads
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Klobasniky, kolache