If you are looking for intense depth of flavor, this chili is for you. It take just 10 minutes to throw all of your ingredients in a pot before a long simmer on the stove.
- 3 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 T butter
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 large cloves minced garlic
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 – 28 ounces cans peeled whole tomatoes (Do NOT Drain)
- 8 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 T granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup fresh brewed strong coffee
1 teaspoon Red Boat Fish Sauce
1 Bay Leaf
- Cook the hamburger until no longer pink in a heavy duty dutch oven .
- Drain the hamburger meat in a colander and set the meat aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in butter until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté approximately 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Return drained hamburger meat to the pot with onion and garlic.
- Mix the onion, garlic, and hamburger together.
- Add the crush tomatoes with the juice and the tomato paste to the mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, crush the tomatoes. You can also just crush these with your spoon as the chili cooks.
- Add in all of the seasoning spices and mix again.
- Add the coffee, fish sauce, and chocolate.
- Mix again.
- Throw in the bay leaf and turn stove to simmer.
- Add in all of your spices, coffee, fish sauce, and bay leaf.
- Give the chili one last stir and cover the pot with a lid, leaving it cracked for steam to escape.
- Allow the chili to simmer for at least 2 hours, preferably more.
- Stir the chili occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom of your pot. Taste the chili and add additional salt if needed.
- Serve with crackers, cheese, and your favorite hot sauce.
- If you do not own an immersion blender, you can crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- As the tomatoes cook, they naturally want to break down.
- You need a large stock pot or Dutch oven for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours (longer is better)
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili, dinner recipes, fish sauce