I firmly believe that everybody should know how to make a big pot of homemade chili.
This means…….. without a store bought seasoning pack.
My recipe for homemade chili incorporates three ingredients that intensify the meaty flavor considerably.
I am going to tell you how to add depth and richness to your chili recipe.
First up, the chili seasoning…..say goodbye spice packets for chili.
You have everything you need in your pantry to create your own homemade chili seasoning packets.
Next up, and the most important……
These three ingredients will be your best friend.
Chocolate, Coffee, and Fish Sauce……
These three ingredients, when used in combination and in moderation with the homemade chili seasonings, intensify depth and savoriness of your dish tremendously.
No one will be able to taste these ingredients indvidually.
But, they will stand in line to get another bowl……..this I know for sure.
The reason……. over the top umami.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.Print
If you are looking for intense depth of flavor, this chili is for you. It take just 10 minutes to throw all of your ingredients in a pot before a long simmer on the stove.
- 3 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 large cloves minced garlic
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 – 28 ounces cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand (Do NOT Drain)
- 8 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
3 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup fresh brewed strong coffee
1 teaspoon Red Boat Fish Sauce
1 Bay Leaf
- Cook the hamburger until no longer pink in a heavy duty dutch oven .
- Drain the hamburger meat in a colander and set the meat aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in a olive olive oil until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté approximately 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Return drained hamburger meat to the pot with onion and garlic.
- Mix the onion, garlic, and hamburger together.
- Add the crush tomatoes with the juice and the tomato paste to the mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, crush the tomatoes.
- Add in all of the seasoning spices and mix again.
- Add the coffee, fish sauce, and chocolate.
- Mix again.
- Throw in the bay leaf and turn stove to simmer.
- Add in all of your spices, coffee, fish sauce, and bay leaf.
- Give the chili one last stir and cover the pot with a lid, leaving it cracked for steam to escape.
- Allow the chili to simmer for at least 2 hours, preferably more.
- Stir the chili occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom of your pot.
- Serve with crackers, cheese, and your favorite hot sauce.
- If you do not own an immersion blender, you can crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- As the tomatoes cook, they naturally want to break down.
- You need a large stock pot for this recipe.
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: chili, dinner recipes, fish sauce
Drop me a comment below and let me know what you think of my homemade chili recipe.
Looking for another bowl of goodness? Try my Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
More from J Dub By Design
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram to see all my latest home decor ideas and tutorials.
Are you a zone 8 garden diva? Check out what I do in my gardens in October.
Are you following my Weekly Wins each week?
Here are a few for the month of October – they are all about Christmas decor! And, how your can make your tree spectacular.