J Dub’s Authentic Mexican Beef is full of flavor thanks to my homemade Chile sauce using dried peppers.
Don’t let the dried peppers intimidate you.
Don’t let the time to cook intimidate you either. The bulk of the cooking time is in the oven without your supervision.
The homemade Mexican sauce is super simple.
And, the beef is pull apart tender.
You should be able to find the peppers in your spice aisle or in the produce section on one of the end caps.
I did include a source in case you need to order the peppers on-line.
This is truly an authentic Mexican dish you will enjoy time and time again.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.Print
J Dub’s Authentic Mexican Beef
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
I firmly believe that everyone needs to know how to make one main dish from scratch. This dish is it. Anybody can make this authentic Mexican meal. This is a great meal to serve your stay over guests during the holidays. It’s also great for New Year’s Eve (Day), any Sunday football game, or even when you just want some authentic Mexican food.
- 6 cups chicken stock plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 8 dried Guajillo Chile peppers
- 4 dried Ancho Chile peppers
- 4 pounds beef shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 large cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 T olive oil plus 1 T olive oil, divided
- 1 T butter
Instructions for Sauce
- First, cut roast into 11/2” inch cubes
- Using at least a 6 quart dutch oven, heat chicken broth to simmering.
- Remove and discard tops of peppers.
- Shake out the seeds and discard. The seeds are where the heat is. It is okay to leave some seeds if you like some heat.
- Tear peppers into strips.
- Add torn peppers to chicken broth and turn off heat.
- Cover this mixture with a lid.
- Allow this pepper broth to sit for approximately 30 minutes.
- While mixtures is sitting, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Sprinkle this flour mixture over the roast cubes and toss to coat.
- Remove chicken broth mixture from dutch oven and pour the mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Next, puree the peppers in the food processor or blender.
- Drain this sauce through a sieve and into a bowl. Discard the solids that remain in the sieve.
Instructions for Beef
- Add 4 T olive oil and 1 T butter to the dutch oven and melt butter.
- Once the butter and oil are hot, brown beef. You will need to brown the beef in batches to prevent overcrowding.
- Place browned beef on a plate, including any juices.
- After you have browned all the beef, add 1 reserved tablespoon olive oil to the pot.
- Next, add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add reserved 1/4 cup of broth and deglaze dutch oven.
- Add garlic and sauté approximately 30 seconds.
- Then add the cumin and chili powder and stir.
- Place beef back into dutch oven with onion and garlic mixture.
- Add strained sauce to beef mixture.
- Stir to coat beef.
- Bring beef to boil, then reduce to low and simmer (partially covered) for 45 minutes.
- Taste sauce and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place covered dutch oven on center rack.
- Allow to cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Beef
Serve with rice, beans, flour tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and some limes slices.
Check out these great tortilla holders to make serving your tacos a breeze.
Drop me a comment below and let me know what you think of J Dub’s Mexican Beef.
Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to catch all the daily happenings going over at J Dub By Design™
Looking For More?
Have you tried my world famous Whatever Cookies? I gave them this name because you just change out the themed M & M’s for “whatever” holiday you are celebrating.
If you are looking for a side dish to serve with your steaks, try my Heavenly Hasselback Potatoes. You will never go back to a traditional baked potato EVER again.
And if you are a sandwich connoiseur, check out my Gillespie Sandwich. It is full of meat and cheese and a tangy surprise!
How About Some DIY’s?
Check out the bedroom refresh I did in my college son’s room. Now, it not only works for him when he comes home, it serves as an additional guest room.
Spring wil be here before you know it. Check out this great paint technique to give your flower pots an easy update.
TracyFebruary 4, 2021 3:21 am
This was delicious! I made it exactly how it was written, except that I halved the recipe. It gave us dinner for 2 and enough for lunch the next day. Yummy tender beef that’s seasoned just perfectly for tacos or burritos.
Thank you for the recipe! It will be something I make again and again.