J Dub’s InstaPot Roast is a very easy one pot wonder. This roast is great for Sunday dinner and even busy weeknights. I make this roast in my InstaPot, but it will easily work in a crockpot too.
- 4–5 Pound Roast (shoulder or chuck roast)
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 6 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 packages (24 ounces) of small potatoes (I use purple, red, and natural flavor fusion potatoes
- 7 large carrots, unpeeled, tops removed, cut into large chunks
- 16 ounce jar sliced mild pepper rings
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoning Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt ( I use Red Diamond)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive or Avocado Oil
- First, add all of the spices to the flour and whisk.
- Then rub the flour mixture generously over the roast, covering it entirely.
- Discard the remaining flour.
- Pour enough olive or or avocado oil into the InstaPot to cover the bottom of the pot. I use approximately 1/4 cup oil.
- Turn the InstaPot to sauté and heat the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, place the roast in the InstaPot and brown the roast on all four sides.
- Next, turn the InstaPot off.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken stock to the roast
- Cover the roast with the potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic cloves.
- Pour the entire of jar of peppers, including the juice over the roast.
- Then, place lid on InstaPot and seal making sure the vent is closed.
- Turn the InstaPot to Manual High.
- Now, set the InstaPot timer for 90 minutes.
- After the roast has cooked for 90 minutes, allow the InstaPot to release naturally.
- Once the InstaPot has released pressure naturally, carefully open the lid of the InstaPot and remove the interior pot.
- Pour the contents of the interior pot into a large casserole dish for serving.
- To make this roast in a crockpot, brown the roast first in a cast iron skillet.
- Follow the recipe for the InstaPot.
- Turn the crockpot on high for the first hour and then turn to low for the 4 hours. Time may vary depending on your crockpot
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: roast, weeknight meal, dinner