J Dub’s Homemade Velveeta is the perfect melting cheese for dips and casseroles.
Back in the day store bought Velveeta was made with real cheese.
Now there’s no cheese in it and it’s full of preservatives.
So, I figured out how to make my own.
My very cheesy homemade version serves as the base for all of my cheese based dips that call for regular Velveeta.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.Print
J Dub’s Homemade Velveeta
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
My homemade velveeta will be the base for all your cheesy dips and casseroles. You will never go back to store bought again.
2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
32 ounces grated American cheese (substitute mild cheddar, or a combo of mild cheddar and Colby if you dont like American cheese)
2 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup Dry Milk Powder
- Place gelatin and dry milk powder in blender or food processor and pulse to mix.
- While processor is running, gradually add boiling water.
- Mix well to combine.
- Add cheddar cheese and mix again.
- Pour mixture in seran wrap lined loaf pan.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Use in place of any recipe that calls for regular Velveeta cheese.
- J Dub’s Homemade Velveeta will keep in the refrigerator covered for up to one month.
- To cu this recipes in half , use 16 ounces American cheese (or 16 ounces mild cheddar, OR 8 ounce mild cheddar and 8 ounces Colby), 1 package gelatin, 1 cup boiling water, and 6 Tablespoons dried milk powder.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours (chill time)
- Category: appetizers
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: velveeta, cheese
You will love J Dub’s Homemade Velveeta.
Once you try this creamy real cheese base in your dips, you will never return to the store bought version!
Try it in my world famous Black Eyed Pea Dip to see exactly what I mean!
Looking for more appetizer ideas? I have got you covered.
My dill pickle dip is the BOMB! It is the perfect dip for spring and summer……if you don’t eat it all before your guests arrive.
Monterey Jack Salsa is another great crowd favorite. Your friends will be begging you to share this awesome dip recipe.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™
Cindy RustJanuary 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Homemade Velveeta??? I had no idea!! This sounds amazing – thanks for sharing!😊
TeresaOctober 19, 2022 4:11 pm
Sounds great and I like no preservatives part. Can you freeze it for longer storage?