- 10 uncooked chicken tenders (you can substitute 5 thin chicken breasts)
- Enough avocado or peanut oil to fill a cast iron skillet 2 inches deep
- Hamburger Potato buns, toasted
- Small dill pickles, cut in half lengthwise
Marinade For Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Batter for Chicken
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Seasoning Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 T buttermilk
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Instructions for Marinade
- Place all marinade ingredients including your chicken into a zip lock bag or large bowl and allow to marinate all day or overnight.
Instructions for Secret Sauce
- Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl and allow to chill until ready.
Instructions for Batter
- Add flour, corn starch, and baking powder to medium sized bowl and whisk together.
- Add spices.
- Mix again.
Coating and Cooking Chicken
- Remove marinated chicken from bag or bowl and place in a clean bowl.
- Do not discard your marinade. You may need to add up to 1/2 cup additional buttermilk if chicken has absorbed it all.
- Dip each chicken piece in the flour mixture and then dip in the buttermilk marinade.
- Dip the floured chicken piece back into the the flour before placing on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- While you are dipping the chicken, heat the oil in your cast iron skillet.
- Place chicken (do not crowd) into the skillet and fry for approximately 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, flip the chicken and fry on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with course sea salt.
- Place the rack in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven to keep warm while you repeat this process with the remaining chicken.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread each toasted side of the bun generously with the secret sauce.
- Top the bottom half with a piece of iceberg lettuce.
- Place 4-6 pickle slices on top of the lettuce to completely cover the lettuce.
- Place the 2 cooked chicken tenders on top of the pickles (or one chicken breast).
- Top with another dollop of special sauce.
- Place the top bun over the chicken.
- Although I use cayenne pepper and a fresh jalapeño pepper, this sandwich is not spicy. Flavorful? Yes. Spicy – No.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes (plus 8 hours chilling time)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken tender sandwich, fried chicken sandwich