You have finally found the perfect eggplant parmesan recipe. Perfectly seasoned and lightly fried to perfection. Once you see the simple steps to take this dish next level, this will be your go-to recipe!
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 cups marinara
- 2 T kosher salt
- 6 –8 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 8 – 10 slices mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- approximately 1/4 cup olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the skillet)
- 2 T butter
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shaved parmesan
- Wash and dry eggplant.
- Leaving skin on, slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the slices in a large colander in the sink and sprinkle with 2 T of kosher salt (NOT regular salt as it will be to salty).
- Allow the eggplant to sit in the colander for approximately 1 hour to draw out the excess moisture.
- Next, place the eggplant slices on a paper towel.
- Place the paper towel back in the colander and give it a shake to remove the moisture and the excess salt.
- Gently beat the eggs and milk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and Italian bread crumbs together.
- Dip the eggplant in the egg/milk mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- Set aside on a cookie sheet and repeat this process with the other slices.
- Heat the oil and butter in cast iron skillet.
- Place eggplant slices into olive oil/butter mixture being careful not to crowd and cook for approimately 1 -2 minutes just until browned on one side.
- Using tongs, flip the slices and cook the other side being careful not to burn.
- Drain the cooked slices on a wire rack while you cook the remaining slices.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheight.
- Grease a 8 X 11 baking dish and place 1 cup of the marinara in the bottom of the dish.
- Laying in the eggplant slices.
- Top the slices with another 1 cup of the marinara sauce.
- Top the marinara with mozzarella slices and 1/2 of the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the process again, ending with the cheese.
- Bake the dish in the oven until hot and bubbly, approximately 20 25 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your eggplant and how many slices you get, you may need to mix up additional eggs and the bread crumb mixture.
- This dish excellent served over thin spaghetti.
- This dish is also excellent as an alternative side dish with steak.
- For the marinara, homemade is best BUT, Rao is the absolute best store bought marinara on the market!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: eggplant parmesan, Italian