J Dub’s Chocolate Meringue Pie is the easiest pie you will ever make.
And, your family will request you make this slice of chocolate heaven all year long.
Every time one of the kids asks me to make I make J Dub’s Chocolate Meringue Pie, I think about the movie “The Help”.
If you have not seen this film, you are missing out.
There are many great lines in that movie.
BUT, Sissy Spacek has the best one EVER.
“I may not remember my last name or what country I live in, but you and that pie is something I will never forget.”
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.Print
You will want to add this pie to your dessert list. I promise you will not be sorry. It is unbelievably easy to bake up, and your friends and family will be begging you for the recipe.
Ingredients for Pie
- 2 cups (454 ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (200) grams sugar
- 3/4 cups (96 grams) flour
- 1/2 stick (57 grams) of butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Slightly over 2 Tablespoons (18 grams) Cocoa
- Your favorite pie crust
Ingredients for Meringue
- 4 aged, room temperature egg whites.
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 completely clean glass or metal bowl
Directions for Pie
- Bake your pie crust according to the directions. I use a pie weight and a crust cover when I bake my crusts.
- Next, whisk all dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa) together and set to the side.
- In a large sauce pan, heat milk to just boiling.
- Immediately turn heat down to simmer.
- Pour in dry ingredients, making sure to stir constantly.
- Cook this mixture until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. It will thicken quickly.
- Add melted butter, mix and turn off heat.
- Once mixture has thickened, allow it to cool approximately 5 minutes.
- After the mixture has cooled, add in the beaten egg yolks and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into cooked and cooled pie crust.
Directions – Meringue
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Beat egg whites at medium speed in glass bowl using an electric mixture or metal bowl using a stand mixer. Beat until soft peaks form. This means the egg whites will curl over the beater(s) when lifted.
- Add sugar gradually while beating at high speed. If you add the sugar too quickly, your meringue will collapse because it will lose the air you are trying to create.
- Continue beating on high speed until the sugar dissolves and beautiful, glossy, stiff peaks form. You will know you have achieved perfection when you lift the beater(s) out and the tips of the meringue stand at attention (straight up) when you turn the beater(s) upside down.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue beating.
- Place a drop of meringue between your index finger and thumb to test whether you can feel any sugar granules. If you can still feel sugar, continue beating until sugar dissolves.
- Spread the meringue over the cooled chocolate pie.
- Make sure that the meringue touches the sides of the pie crust (you can not see any of the pie filling). This will prevent your meringue from shrinking.
Directions for Baking Meringue
- Bake the meringue topped chocolate pie in the oven until tips over meringue are a golden brown, approximately 6-8 minutes. Watch closely to keep from burning.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool.
- Chill the pie in refrigerator at least one hour. Do not cover with sera wrap or foil as this will cause your meringue to collapse.
- Even though you make think your bowl is completely clean from dishwasher and free of any residual fats, run a slice of lemon around the entire bowl and wipe clean to ensure your meringue is a success!
- To age egg whites, separate the egg whites the day before and allow them to chill in refrigerator before standing at room temperature. This gives you the big, fluffy meringue.Refrigerate remaining pie for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pie
Here’s hoping you enjoy J Dub’s Chocolate Meringue Pie!
AND, not for the reason Hilly from “The Help” did.
Drop me a comment and let me know what you think!