Take your dinners from boring to BAM with this great family recipe!
Ingredients for Cakes
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
4 T butter
2/3 cup mayonaise
4 T Creole Mustard,
3 T Creole Seasoning
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups Panko crumbs, divided
1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
Ingredients for Remoulade
1 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 T capers, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Juice from 1 lemon
1 T Creole seasoning
1 t granulated garlic
3 dashes favorite hot sauce, (I use Louisiana Hot Sauce)
Instructions for Cakes
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet.
- Add bell peppers and sauté until softened, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the green onions and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Turn heat off and allow mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and creole seasoning together.
- Add in chopped chicken and mix again.
- Next, add in the pepper mixture.
- Add 1 cup of Panko crumbs, reserving the remaining cup for later.
- Taste the mixture and season as necessary.
- Add lightley beaten eggs and mix well.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into a cake the size of your palm.
- Dip each cake into the remaining bread crumbs to cover.
- Place each cake on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Once all of the cakes have been made, cover the cakes and place in the refrigerator to chill at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to cook the cakes, heat up 1/2 cup oil in cast iron skillet.
- Cook the cakes in batches on low for 3-5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve with remoulade sauce.
Instructions for Remoulade Sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Chill the sauce until the cakes are ready.
This post does contain affiliate links. This means if you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you do make a purchase through my links, thank you so much for supporting my website.
- You can make the cakes ahead of time and chill overnight in the fridge.
- If you are cooking several batches, place the cooked ones on an oven safe rack on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven to keep warm.
- You can freeze the uncooked chicken cakes on parchment paper in a freezer zip lock bag. Allow them to thaw completely in the refigerator before cooking.
- My remoulade sauce is also excellent on a po-boy.
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: chicken cakes, creole, southern