2 cups (250 grams) all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
2 t sugar
6 T (85 grams) cold butter, cubed and chilled
2 T butter, melted
3/4 cup cold buttermilk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat.
- In a food processor or using a whisk, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar until combined.
- Add the chilled, cubed butter and pulse food processor to create pea sized pieces of butter.
- Pour in the cold buttermilk and pulse until dough starts to come together.
- Scoop the dough out onto a floured surface and push it together with your hands.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle and fold it into thirds,
- Turn the dough and flatten back into a rectoangle.
- Repeat this process two additional times.
- Next flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch rectangle.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. This should make 12 biscuits.
- You can continue to gather the dough together at 1/2 inch thickness and cut the biscuits. But, try to do this sparingly as the dough will start to toughen. I can usually get 10 biscuits before combining the dough pieces together, before flattening and rolling out again.
- Arrange the biscuits on the parchment paper or a silicone mat so that they are touching each other.
- Bake for about 5 minutes and remove them from the oven.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush the tops with any remaining butter.
- If you don’t have access to a food processor, you can use a pastry cutter to blend the dough.
- After cutting your butter in cubes, place in the freezer for a few minutes while you prep your other ingredients. This will ensure your butter stays cold.
- Measure out your buttermilk and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to add it to the ingredients.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to 3/4 cup regular milk and allow to sit 5 minutes. Chill and then add this to the flour mixture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-17 minutes
- Category: breads
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Buttermilk biscuits