J Dub’s Butter Pecan Cookies are the perfect cookie for the holiday season.
Toasted pecans, browned butter, and high quality vanilla are the key to unlocking cookie heaven and magic.
- 2 cups (218 grams) bag of pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (43 grams) butter plus 1 cup (226 grams) butter, divided
- 2 1/4 cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (200 grams) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
Chocolate Ganache (optional)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Instructions to Prepare Dough
- First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a cast iron skillet.
- Next, add the pecans and stir to coat them with butter.
- Place the skillet in oven and toast the pecans approximately 12-15 minutes.
- While the pecans are in the oven, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, corn starch, cinnamon, baking soda).
- After the pecans are toasted, remove the skillet from the oven and pour the pecans into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugars.
- Next, melt butter over low heat in the same cast iron skillet you used for the pecans. Once the butter has melted, continue to stir until butter turns golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Then, remove the skillet from heat and pour butter over the sugars and whisk well to combine.
- Allow this sugar mixture to cool, approximately 3 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled, add in vanilla.
- Next, beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is just combined.
- Then, using a mixing spoon, fold flour mixture the sugar mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Next, fold in the toasted pecans.
- Dump the mixture onto seran wrap and seal well.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 3 days.
Instructions to Bake Cookies
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, line a large baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop 3 tablespoon sized rounds of dough onto the prepared sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie for spreading.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 – 9 minutes, or until the edges are set and the centers are still soft.
- Remove the cookies from oven.
- Once the cookies have cooled on the pan for approximately 5 minutes, carefully transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to completely cool.
Instructions for Ganache
- Break chocolate up and put in double boiler.
- Add whipping cream.
- Turn heat on low and allow chocolate to melt.
- Stir frequently.
- Once chocolate has melted, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place chocolate in squeeze bottle and drizzle over the cookies.
- If you refrigerate the dough for more than 4 hours, you will need to let the dough sit at room temperature until it’s scoopable.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (4 hours chilling time)
- Cook Time: 7-9 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American