1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups water, chilled (place in fridge to chill while getting ingredients together)
3 cups heavy cream
1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
6 large, barely ripe bananas
1 (12 oz.) bag Slaton Bakery Homemade Vanilla Wafers
2 t high quality Vanilla (please, do not use imitation)
Directions to Prepare Filling
- Using a mixing bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined – about 1 minute.
- Add the pudding mix and beat well – about 2 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a large bowl or using a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream and vanilla into the chilled pudding mixture.
- Whisk until no streaks of pudding remain.
Directions to Assemble
- Arrange 1/3 of the wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary.
- Slice two large and slightly ripe bananas
- Layer these bananas over the wafers.
- Spoon 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the bananas covering the bananas entirely. This prevents the bananas from browning.
- Repeat this layering technique twice more.
- Garnish the top of the final layer of pudding with crushed wafers.
- Cover the dish with seran wrap tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Dessert can either be made in individual portions or in a large trifle bowl.
- Choose bananas that have a slightly green stem (barely ripe). This will insure your banana pudding does not get soggy.
- Feel free to use another wafer if you don’t want to do the right thing and try Slaton’s. But, it won’t be the same.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus chill time)
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana pudding