J Dub’s Banana Pudding is the unofficial dessert of summer. My take on this dessert is based off the world famous recipe from Magnolia Bakery….just better. I use two highly secret ingredients – a smidge of high quality vanilla and the one and only HOMEMADE vanilla wafer.
These wafers come from Slaton Bakery. Appropriately, this bakery is known as the best kept secret in West Texas. Thankfully, if you don’t have access a Central Market or an HEB……you can also get these cookies delivered right to your door.
I highly recommend you get your hands on some of their homemade vanilla wafers. You will never look at a vanilla wafer the same…….I promise. Click here to order.
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups water, chilled (place in fridge to chill while getting ingredients together)
3 cups heavy cream
1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
6 large, barely ripe bananas
1 (12 oz.) bag Slaton Bakery Homemade Vanilla Wafers
2 t high quality Vanilla (please, do not use imitation)
- Using a mixing bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined – about 1 minute.
- Add the pudding mix and beat well – about 2 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a large bowl or using a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream and vanilla into the chilled pudding mixture.
- Whisk until no streaks of pudding remain.
- Arrange 1/3 of the wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary.
- Slice two large and slightly ripe bananas
- Layer these bananas over the wafers.
- Spoon 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the bananas covering the bananas entirely. This prevents the bananas from browning.
- Repeat this layering technique twice more.
- Garnish the top of the final layer of pudding with crushed wafers.
- Cover the dish with seran wrap tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Dessert can either be made in individual portions or in a large trifle bowl.
- Choose bananas that have a slightly green stem (barely ripe). This will insure your banana pudding does not get soggy.
- Feel free to use another wafer if you don’t want to do the right thing and try Slaton’s. But, it won’t be the same.
Let me know what you think of J Dub’s Banana Pudding. Happy Summer.
Looking for another banana dessert? Try J Dub’s Blueberry Banana Pie. So refreshing and also perfect for any summer holiday.
This post does contain affiliate links. This means if you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, you can do a google search (instead of clicking on my links) to find my recommendations. If you do make a purchase through my links, thank you so much for supporting my website.