J Dub’s Banana Pudding is the unofficial dessert of summer.
My take on this dessert is based off the world famous recipe from Magnolia Bakery….just better.
I use two highly secret ingredients – a smidge of high quality vanilla and the one and only HOMEMADE vanilla wafer.
These wafers come from Slaton Bakery.
Appropriately, this bakery is known as the best kept secret in West Texas.
Thankfully, if you don’t have access a Central Market or an HEB……you can also get these cookies delivered right to your door.
I highly recommend you get your hands on some of their homemade vanilla wafers.
You will never look at a vanilla wafer the same…….I promise. Click here to order.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
J Dub’s Banana Pudding
- Total Time: 15 Minutes (minimum 8 hours chill time)
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
My Banana Pudding is the perfect summer dessert. You can make a large banana pudding trifle, or serve this as individual banana pudding cups.
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups water, chilled (place in fridge to chill while getting ingredients together)
3 cups heavy cream
1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
6 large, barely ripe bananas
1 (12 oz.) bag Slaton Bakery Homemade Vanilla Wafers
2 t high quality Vanilla (please, do not use imitation)
Directions to Prepare Filling
- Using a mixing bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined – about 1 minute.
- Add the pudding mix and beat well – about 2 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a large bowl or using a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream and vanilla into the chilled pudding mixture.
- Whisk until no streaks of pudding remain.
Directions to Assemble
- Arrange 1/3 of the wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary.
- Slice two large and slightly ripe bananas
- Layer these bananas over the wafers.
- Spoon 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the bananas covering the bananas entirely. This prevents the bananas from browning.
- Repeat this layering technique twice more.
- Garnish the top of the final layer of pudding with crushed wafers.
- Cover the dish with seran wrap tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
To create individual jar desserts
- Place a layer of the filling on bottom of jar, add wafers, then bananas. Repeat the layers until jar is full. Sprinkle crushed wafers on top.
- Seal the jars with a screw on lid to preserve the desserts longer.
- Keep chilled in refrigerator.
- Makes 16 (6 ounce) jars.
- Dessert can either be made in individual portions or in a large trifle bowl.
- Choose bananas that have a slightly green stem (barely ripe). This will insure your banana pudding does not get soggy.
- Feel free to use another wafer if you don’t have access to Slaton’s.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus chill time)
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana pudding
Pin For Later!
Drop me a comment below and let me know what you think of J Dub’s Banana Pudding. Happy Summer.
Looking For More Summer Recipes?
If you are in the market for another banana dessert, try J Dub’s Blueberry Banana Pie. So refreshing and also perfect for any summer holiday.
Now that blackberries are in season, you definitely want to try my Blackberry Lemon Pound Cake. It is perfect for all your summer BBQ’s and pool parties.
Check out your new favorite Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich with my signature secret sauce.
My Cajun Chicken Cakes with Homemade Remoulade are a crowd favorite. You can even freeze these uncooked cakes to pull out for a busy weeknight dinner.
Have you tried my Carrot Cake Banana Bread? It is outstanding – and you can leave it naked or ice it with my light vanilla cream cheese icing.
Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies anyone? These cookies won’t last a day in your house.
My Blueberry Banana Pie is the perfect pie for your next brunch or summer get together. Your entire family will be begging you to share this recipe.
Try my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene. My recipe makes a huge loaf cake that you can easily freeze for later.
My dill pickle dip is the perfect appetizer to serve for Mother’s Day brunch or at your next pool party.
This creamy balsamic salad dressing will become your new favorite. It is perfect on any summer salad.
My Monterey Jack Salsa will be your next favorite dip this summer.
How About Some DIY’s?
I’ve got a simple method to help you re-pot your succulents and refresh the containers for your summer patio.
Don’t forget to check out my method to get your patio cushions so clean. Your husband will think you bought brand new cushions!
Make sure to try out my window cleaning recipe. My formula will get all your glass surfaces streak free and unbelievably clean.
Speaking of patios……have you seen the major refresh I did on our tired, old wood outdoor dining table and chairs? This DIY works well on indoor furniture too.
Did you know you can dry an artichoke for the most gorgeous muted colors and texture? Click here to see this unbelievably easy DIY!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™
MelissaJune 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Your recipes rock! I’m making this for the 4th and already made it for Memorial Day! So good. So many compliments.
BethJune 23, 2022 4:03 pm
Yummy! One of my favorites Jennifer. Love your blog.