This charming grapevine heart wreath was so fun to make.
I was planning to do this a year ago.
But I had a fight with the grapevine while I was unrolling it, and it whacked me in the face.
And, then it scratched my eyeball.
I ended up wearing an eye patch for about 5 days.
The key to not using the grapevine as a weapon on yourself…….
Soak it in water for 24 hours.
Then, you can make whatever you want without fear of going blind.
You can even skip the whole make your own grapevine heart DIY and just buy a pre-made grapevine shaped heart.
I will say that I like how organic and “un-perfect” the hearts that I made turned out.
The wreath is one of a kind and quite charming in it’s “un-perfect” shape.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my website.
- 22 feet of grapevine garland
- floral wire
- twine (I used cream)
- wire snips
- rope for a hanger (optional)
- various spring florals I already had on hand and trimmed to fit in the grapevine(I used cherry blossoms, white pampas grass stems, and purple hyacinths)
- velvet and metal floral garland
- glue gun
- glue sticks
- Soak the grapevine in a tub of water for 24 hours.
- I layered three hearts on top of one another. I did this because my grapevine garland was small and stacking three hearts on top of one another gave it more presence on the door.
- Started by cutting two pieces of garland approximately 40 inches long.
- Attached them together using floral wire about 3 inches from one end.
- Bring them up to form a curve at the top in the shape of a heart.
- Attach them together using the florist wire.
- Repeat this process two more times to form two additional hearts.
- Then, stack them on top of one another and attach the three together with florist wire.
- Place something heavy on them overnight to get the heart to lay flat on the surface.
- Once the heart is flat, wrap the colored twine of your choice around the bottom of the heart and at the top where the two curves meet.
- Hot glue the end to keep it from unraveling.
- Then, lay the velvet and metal garland along one side of the heart.
- Attach with florist wire as needed.
- Fill in with the faux pampas stems ( I used a few pieces from one stem of pampas), cherry blossoms, and purple hyacinth to give more dimensions.
- I only decorated one side of the heart and let the garland drape off the bottom, but it’s your creation so make it your own.
- I originally hot glued a looped piece of twine to the back of the heart as my hanger.
- But I ended up not using it as it took away from my wreath hanging on the door.
- I hung the wreath directly from a nail without needing a hanger.
Photos of the Process
Not only is this wreath perfect for Valentine’s Day, it would make a charming piece of decor hung in a girl’s bedroom.
I would love to know how you plan to recreate my DIY Grapevine Heart Wreath. Let me know in the comment section below.
Pin For Later!
Shop The Post
Looking For More?
Create a charming fig vine heart topiary to give to the plant lover in your life.
This nightstand makeover is a great way to jump into furniture flips and it definitely makes a statement.
Don’t forget to try my method to clean all your glass surfaces. You will never rely on Windex again.
Have you seen the DIY outdoor dining space I completed a few years ago?
My old and tired wooden table and chairs got a whole new lease on life!
Here’s another DIY furniture project where I also used wax. The finish is fabulous!.
Have you ever dried an artichoke? This DIY is so easy to complete. You will end up with the most gorgeous muted dried pieces to use in all your floral decor.
Do you want to create a beautiful moss wreath like mine? I have a tutorial! This would an excellent gift for that special lady for in your life.
Have you seen my Aged Pot Tutorial? It’s a great way to transform any piece of pottery into an aged antique beauty!
How About Some Recipes?
Homemade Vanilla Anyone? I walk you through the simple steps and all you need is a little patience to wait on the vanilla.
My Baked Garlic Wedge Fries will be your new favorite potato addiction.
Have you tried my Carrot Cake Banana Bread? It is outstanding – and you can leave it naked or ice it with my light vanilla cream cheese icing.
Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies anyone?
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, You Tube, and Tik Tok to see all the daily happenings going on over at J Dub By Design™!
BethJanuary 28, 2023 4:01 pm
I love love this! I just ordered the garland. You have the best ideas and such a detailed tutorial. Thank you so much 💖
MalorieJanuary 28, 2023 4:02 pm
Thank you for sharing. This wreath is precious and I love the uniqueness of hanging the garland down one side.
JennyJanuary 28, 2023 4:03 pm
Jennifer, you knocked it out of the park per usual. So pretty and romantic. I sent this to my daughter for her little girls room. It would be perfect hanging over her bed. 💖