DIY Dyed Ornamental Grasses are the perfect floral pieces to add to your fall decor.
I have an entire area that in my landscaping specifically dedicated to ornamental grasses.
Last year, I used every single stem of pampas I had on hand to make a giant Christmas tree.
This year, I have reserved all of the stems for my latest DIY.
DIY DYED ORNAMENTAL GRASSES!!!!
You probably have everything you need already!
5 gallon Bucket
Rit Dye (I used wine and black in both the liquid form and the small box)
Various Miscanthus Varieties (dried grasses)
Plastic or drop cloth to protect your surfaces from Dye
- Fill your bucket with hot water. For the smaller grasses, I only filled the bucket about 4 inches full. For the large pampas grass, I filled the bucket slightly over half way full.
- Add dye to hot water. For the wine dye that I used on the smaller grasses, I added 3 Tablespoons of liquid dye to the 4 inches of water. For the black dye, I poured the entire box of dye into the bucket.
- Place your stems into the bucket.
- Allow the grasses to sit for as long you as you desire. For one set of small grasses, I let them sit in the dye for an hour. On the next set of small grasses, I let them sit overnight. For the large pampas, I also let them sit in the bucket overnight.
- Once you are happy with the color, Carefully remove the grasses from the bucket and set them in a container. I used a cardboard box to prop them up. The grass will drip so you want to make sure that you don’t do this in your house or on pretty concrete. IT WILL STAIN. So do it somewhere where you don’t mind drips.
- Allow the grasses to dry out slightly, then shake them gently to remove any excess dye.
- Allow the grasses to dry thoroughly.
- Trim them to the size you want and arrange in your container of choice.
Photos of Process
This DIY is so simple and makes such a statement.
The longer you leave them in the dye, the darker they will get.
You will be driving around your neighborhood looking for grasses to clip.
Drop me a comment below and tell me what you think of my DIY Dyed Ornamental Grass Project!
Pin For Later!
Looking For More DIY’s?
Don’t forget to try my method to clean all your glass surfaces. You will never rely on Windex again.
Have you seen the DIY outdoor dining space I just completed?
Here’s another DIY furniture project where I also used wax. The finish is fabulous!.
Have you ever dried an artichoke? This DIY is so easy to complete. You will end up with the most gorgeous muted dried pieces to use in all your floral decor.
Have you seen my Aged Pot Tutorial? It’s a great way to transform any piece of pottery into an aged antique beauty!
And, don’t forget my fig topiary is the perfect gift for your favorite gardener.
How About Some Recipes?
My stuffed olive sausage balls are a hit for any tailgate party this season.
Have you tried my Carrot Cake Banana Bread? It is outstanding – and you can leave it naked or ice it with my light vanilla cream cheese icing.
Try my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene. My recipe makes a huge loaf cake that you can easily freeze for later.
My dill pickle dip is the perfect appetizer to serve at your next tailgate party
This creamy balsamic salad dressing will become your new favorite on all types of salads.
My Monterey Jack Salsa will be your next favorite dip this fall.