My DIY Aged Outdoor Terracotta Flower Pots is a great way to add character and depth to basic orange terracotta pots.
My method is really simple.
It involves basic garden lime, acrylic paint, stucco patch, and matte sealer.
The end result is amazing. You would think I found these pots at a high end retail store.
Or dug them out of an ancient archeological site.
This post does contain affiliate links. This means if you click on certain links and purchase a product I recommend, I will receive a small commission.
bowls (that will not be used for food again)
cup (to scoop lime out of bag)
chip brush or inexpensive paint brush
acrylic paints of your choice (I used green, black, red, brown)
several sets of disposable gloves
- Mix together 1 cup of lime with water until it makes a runny paste.
- Paint the mixture onto the pots. Make sure your surface is protected by a drop cloth.
- Then, using your gloved hand, scoop the remaining mixture out of the bowl and rub into the pot(s).
- Set the pots on a protected surface and allow to dry for a few hours.
- Add more lime to the bowl and then add about a tablespoon of the paint color of your choice to the lime.
- Then, add enough water to the bowl to make a paste.
- Paint this mixture onto the pot using a brush and your gloved hand.
- Set the pot to the side and allow to dry overnight.
- You can repeat this process using additional colors to add more dimension.
- After the pots had dried, using a gloved hand, I wiped stucco patch onto random areas around the pot.
- Allow the stucco to set up approximately 3 minutes.
- Then, using a gloved hand, press more pelletized lime into the stucco.
- Allow the stucco to dry completely.
- Following the sealer directions, spray three coats on the inside and three coats on the outside of the pot to seal and protect the pots.
Photos of Aged Outdoor Terracotta Flower Pot Process
Pin For Later!
Drop me a comment below and tell me what you think of my DIY Aged Outdoor Terracotta Flower Pots. I would love to hear how you plan to use these in your outdoor spaces.
Looking for More DIY’S?
Check out this beautiful spring/summer wreath you can create in an hour or less with just a few supplies.
Need to tackle your dirty windows? I have the perfect homemade cleaner that will ensure you never buy Windex again,
Do your patio cushions need some TLC? I have that recipe for homemade cushion cleaner as well!
Have you purchased your ferns for your porches? I have the best way to keep them healthy and lush green all summer long.
How About Some Recipe Ideas?
You will love my homemade pimento cheese. It makes a great sandwich and perfect appetizer spread.
Definitely try out my “Whatever Cookies”! Change out the M & M’s to celebrate any occasion any time of year.
If you are looking for a great summer sandwich, my Turkey, Bacon, and Avocado Sandwich is the bomb.
Have you tried my Balsamic Red Wine Pot Roast? It is the most fantastic old school way to cook a roast. Perfect for Sunday dinner and/or dinner guests.
My Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies are the perfect base for the oh so perfect ice cream sandwich.
My Blueberry Banana Pie is the perfect pie for your Easter brunch. Your entire family will be begging you to share this recipe.
Try my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene. My recipe makes a huge loaf cake that you can easily freeze for later.
My dill pickle dip is the perfect appetizer to serve at Easter brunch or at your next pool party.
This Carrot Banana Bread is unbelievably easy to make and addictive.
This creamy balsamic salad dressing will become your new favorite.
My roasted vegetable pie is a great side dish to incorporate all your summer garden vegetables.