- 4–6 thin cut chicken breasts
- Enough avocado or peanut oil to fill a cast iron skillet 2 inches deep
- Hamburger buns, toasted (I use Ball Park Everything Burger Bun)
- Small dill pickles, cut in half lengthwise
- blue cheese crumbles
- butter or iceberg lettuce
- purple pickled onions
- homemade ranch dressing (I use McCormick’s 3 in 1 Ranch Seasoning)
- Frank’s Wing Sauce
Marinade For Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Wing Sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Batter for Chicken
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Seasoning Salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
Instructions for Marinade
- Place all marinade ingredients including your chicken into a zip lock bag or large bowl and allow to marinate all day or overnight.
Instructions for Pickled Onions
- Slice a red onion and place in a quart jar.
- Bring 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar to a boil.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey and a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Stir to mix.
- Pour mixture over red onions.
- Allow to cool before placing lid on jar.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Instructions for Ranch Dressing
- Follow the directions on the packet or container. Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl and allow to chill until ready.
Instructions for Batter
- Add flour, corn starch, and baking powder to medium sized bowl and whisk together.
- Add spices.
- Mix again.
Coating and Cooking Chicken
- Remove marinated chicken from bag or bowl and place in a clean bowl.
- Do not discard your marinade.
- Place the marinade in a separate bowl and add 1/2 cup buttermilk to it.
- Dip each chicken piece in the flour mixture and then dip in the buttermilk marinade.
- Dip the floured chicken piece back into the the flour before placing on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- While you are dipping the chicken, heat the oil in your cast iron skillet.
- Place chicken (do not crowd) into the skillet and fry for approximately 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, flip the chicken and fry on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with course sea salt.
- Place the rack in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven to keep warm while you repeat this process with the remaining chicken.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread each toasted side of the bun generously with the homemade ranch dressing.
- Place a piece of butter lettuce on the bottom half of bun.
- Place 4-6 pickle slices on top of the lettuce.
- Place the 1 chicken breast on top of the pickles.
- Sprinkle the chicken generously with blue cheese crumbles, a drizzle of ranch dressing, and a drizzle of wing sauce.
- Add purple pickled onions over the blue cheese crumbles.
- Place the top bun over the chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (8 hours chill time for chicken)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: sandwiches
- Cuisine: American