- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños (or 1 fresh jalapeno chopped)
- 1 large clove roasted garlic (use fresh garlic if you don’t have roasted on hand)
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened and cubed)
- 1 10 ounce can rotel tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans blacked eyed peas, drained ( or use fresh black eyed peas you have cooked and seasoned to perfection)
- 16 ounces homemade Velveeta, or 1 medium box Velveeta
- 8 ounces Shredded Mexican cheese
- Sliced pickled jalapeños for garnish on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place butter in a large cast iron pot.
- Melt butter.
- Add in chopped onion and cook until tender and transparent.
- Add everything else from your ingredient list, but the shredded cheese.
- Stir occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the bottom as everything melts together.
- Place the cast iron skillet in the oven on a cookie sheet just in case it bubbles over. Heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven off. Sprinkle cheese over the top and garnish with sliced jalapeños.
- Put cast iron pot back into oven and allow the dip to rest there until cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately from cast iron pot.
- If you do not want to serve the dip from the cast iron pot, you can easily transfer the dip to a chafing dish.
- You can also switch out the pickled jalapeños for fresh for more of a kick.
- This dip is great served with Fritos. But, it is even better with served with Julio’s Original Corn Tortilla Chips.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed peas, dip